Re: How to drop a datafile that has been offline?

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Sat, 1 Feb 2003 03:49:42 +1100

Short answer: no. Once a file is part of a tablespace, it's there for ever. You can do things like 'alter database datafile blah offline drop', but that doesn't actually get rid of it, and it remains part of the tablespace and database structure.

Since you have 8i, however, it's not the end of the world. I know you didn't want to do it, but it's easiest simply to create a new tablespace with all the right characteristics, do a select segment_name from dba_segments where tablespace_name='YOUR_ORIGINAL_TABLESPACE_NAME', and use that as a list of segments to be moved to the new tablespace (alter table blah move tablespace newone, or alter index blah rebuild tablespace newone).

Then you send 'one of your DBAs' on proper training!

Regards