Performance Tuning help

From: Gary Avery <Gary.P.Avery_at_Pharmacia.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 16:19:11 -0000

Dear board,

here is some of the output from a statspack report I ran (went on the Performace/Tuning course last week)

Snap Length
 (Minutes)

     168.90

Top 5 Wait Events

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~                                             Wait     %
Total
Event                                               Waits  Time (cs)   Wt
Time
--
db file sequential read                           524,735      235,947
76.07

If I read this right, then of the 168 minutes that the snap was taken the highest 2 waits accounted for 47 minutes of the snap. Now to me that seems an awful lot and I beleive I ought to be looking at what sql is being performed against the tables to see if there are some obvious indexes missing. Is this what i should be doing or are there other 'quicker' gains to be made elsewhere. (I have already up'd the db_file_multiblock_read count)

We run a multi-purpose application with all the datafiles stored on a single raid5 array (NT).

Also has anyone done much with function based indexes? Would an index on UPPER(surname) gave a dramatic increase to selects...where surname like (upper(blah)). we tend to do a fair amount of those.

regards

Gary Received on Fri Jan 31 2003 - 10:19:11 CST