tricky SQL SELECT - help!

From: Angel Cat <kittycatangel_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 30 Jan 2003 22:21:44 -0800

Hello!

I have 2 tables that I need to join together in a SELECT but it doesn't seem easy

PEOPLE table
ID int
NAME varchar

PETS table
PETTYPE varchar
PEOPLE_IDS varchar

The PEOPLE table links to the PETS with the PEOPLE's IDs separated by semicolons!

So, PETS will have records like this
PET PEOPLE_IDS
Cat 1;34;35;88;101;122
Dog 4;33;34;

And PEOPLE will have records like this:
ID NAME
1 John

So, John has 1 cat, no dogs. In SQL statement, how can I retrieve what pets John has? Subqueries doesn't seem to allow the 'like' clause..

I need a SELECT like this:

SELECT ID FROM PEOPLE WHERE NAME = "JOHN" AND ID LIKE "%(SELECT PEOPLE_IDS FROM PETS' %" But the syntax doesn't work like that. :confused: I also need this done in 1 statement, no DECLARE variables in 2 lines

Any help is appreciated! Received on Fri Jan 31 2003 - 00:21:44 CST