Re: Performance problem on inserting

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 22:11:32 -0000

"Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote in message news:93WZ9.36180$jM5.91337_at_newsfeeds.bigpond.com...
> > <disclaimer>
> > the script tells you not to do this but gives no reasons
> > </disclaimer>
>
> I believe the reason is (apart from anything that is peculiar in the
depths
> of the code) that version 9 calculates to the millisecond, and version 8
> the centisecond, so all durations etc reported are out by a factor of 10.
>
> Not difficult to adjust for, I agree.

I think I have misrepresented myself, what I was trying to say was that dbmssupp.sql states that it should only be run on pain of death - sorry I mean when a support analyst tells you to.

I wasn't intending to say that the docs suggest that running 9i tkprof against 8i db's might be misleading - but thanks for the heads up

Of course one can always run statspack and use www.oraperf.com to do this sort of thing.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA