Re: How are you backing up your V,VLDB????

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 21:54:48 -0000

"Brian Peasland" <oracle_dba_at_peasland.com> wrote in message news:3E397489.FB92634D_at_peasland.com...
> > Just wondering if partitioning the data on some geographic/spatial
> > coordinate basis will help then (presumably mount rushmore isn't moving
too
> > fast :( ). Whilst this won't get you read only tablespaces it might get
you
> > logical units of backup that can be backed up in parallel to multiple
> > drives?
>

> Partitioning the data like you suggest is a possibility. But it does
> bring up one other thing that I didn't mention and that is that they
> layers are "pyramided". We have users view the data on the web. It would
> really suck to have to read the entire data for the entire US before
> presenting it to the client's web browser
<snip clear explanation>

> So as you can see, just having one or two pixels of data changing
> forces us to change basically the entire layer of pyramids built on top
> of it.

I'm tempted to suggest forbidding any further development in the US, or changing your focus to small pacific islands, or surveying once every ten years or so. Or put simply I see your point.

> And it's funny that you mentioned Mount Rushmore as I'm in the state of
> South Dakota. But on the other side of the state!

It's one of the few US Monuments I know, and now I've found out where it is - a result.

You asked in response to Mark if you were the only company with such constraints, and whilst I doubt that anyone is unique, you do appear to me to be both rare and likely to be a valuable partner with Oracle in developing approaches to what appear to be essentially multi-TB OLTP systems. I'd suggest approaching their consultancy business privately and seeing what can come out of your problem to both your benefit and theirs (lets face being the db engine provider to the USGS must be a bit of a marketing coup).

Cheers

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA