Re: How are you backing up your V,VLDB????

From: Paul Brewer <paul_at_paul.brewers.org.uk>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 21:16:49 -0000

"Dusan Bolek" <pagesflames_at_usa.net> wrote in message news:1e8276d6.0301300445.371b2898_at_posting.google.com...
> In past I've encountered few times some databases specially
> data warehouses, where its proud owner told me: "We're storing
> 2TB right now and it will grow even further". And after that
> I've realized that inside is a lot of irrelevant crap, which
> is inside just because "maybe we will need this one day"
> and no one was enough brave to told managers that this particular
> information is an useless piece of sh*t.
> Not mentioning redundant data, because data model is bad and/or
> data cleaning was not sufficient or is not implemented at all.

Dusan,

Right on.

There are some DBAs who think they are macho because their DW is giant-sized. They didn't actually bother to ask what the business requirements were.....

We even had one contract DBA who thought he could be clever by oversizing his tablespaces by so much that they were 95% empty... "I'm managing an xxx size database; none of the others could do that"

The naked emperor was, I am glad to say, exposed eventually.

Regards,
Paul Received on Thu Jan 30 2003 - 15:16:49 CST