Re: Running with _system_trig_enabled set to false

From: Paul Brewer <paul_at_paul.brewers.org.uk>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 20:15:31 -0000

"Mark D Powell" <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com> wrote in message news:2687bb95.0301290647.6210812c_at_posting.google.com... > "Paul Brewer" <paul_at_paul.brewers.org.uk> wrote in message news:<3e36fcee_1_at_mk-nntp-1.news.uk.worldonline.com>...
> > "Mark D Powell" <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > Joe, if you have metalink support look up the following documents:
> > > (bug no) 2187432, Doc Id 143639.1, 222467.1, and 2670738.1.
> > >
> > > The bug appears to match your problem since it appears to relate to
> > > JAVA code.
> > >
> > > As far as turning off database event triggers goes: This is a feature
> > > of Oracle that you do not have to use and if your shop does not now or
> > > intend to use the feature then turning it off should be fine.
> > >

> > I would be very wary of running in this mode.
> >
> > We are on 8.7.1.4 and have a THIRD_PARTY three-tier application. All the
> > developers know the Oracle Username/Password which the application
server
> > uses to connect to the database - and it would be useless to change it.
> >
> > All the business rules are in the app. There are no constraints in the
> > database (other than primary keys) and I have *no* influence here.
> >
> > The best I've been able to do so far is to restrict that Oracle username
> > logging in from named terminals (i.e. the application servers), using an
> > after_event logon trigger owned by SYSTEM.
> >
> > Any suggestions would be welcomed.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Paul

> Paul, I think you need database event triggers, but most shops do not
> use them so turning them off until a bug patch is available is not
> going to affect anything.  In your case if you have hit this problem
> then you probably need to file an iTAR to get Oracle's help.  It
> appears from one of the documents I listed  that the problem is JAVA
> related and removal of the code might be the solution, that or
> re-validation of the invalid referenced code/object from a trigger.
> There were several other documents, but I listed the ones with recent
> dates that looked like they would apply.
>
> IMHO -- Mark D Powell --

Mark,

Sorry, I don't understand. File an iTAR? Why? I don't have an Oracle problem, I have an application design problem, which thanks to Oracle's database event triggers I can largely circumvent.

I was just trying to warn against disabling event triggers on a systemwide basis. OK, I admit many may not use them, but some do.

But I have reread your caveat: "if your shop does not now or intend to use the feature then turning it off should be fine" (sic)

That's fair enough.

Cheers,
Paul Received on Thu Jan 30 2003 - 14:15:31 CST