Re: Output data from database to CSV without revealing structure?

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 10:28:34 -0800

Scott Mattes wrote:

> Daniel,
> If someone had lots of time on their hands couldn't they figure out which
> FKs went together, thus revealing how it was normalized?
>
> Granted, we are talking lots of free time.
>
> "DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message
> > Allen Gibbons wrote:
> >
> > > I have been asked to extract data from about 100 Oracle database
> > > tables and output it into comma delimited files. This would be a simple
> > > task except that the output should NOT reveal any of the structure
> within
> > > the database (ie, no normalization, referential integrity, etc.)
> > >
> > > Has anyone out there had to do something similar to that described
> above?
> > >
> > > Any ideas would be much appreciated.
> > >
> > > AEG
> >
> > No data contains normalization or referential integrity so the question
> makes
> > no sense as stated. If the point is to dump the tables then the dump is
> the
> > dump is the dump. It is nothing but data so it will contain what it
> contains.
> >
> > If the point is to dump the tables and mix-up the data then just dump it
> in
> > the most egregiously convoluted manner you can.
> >
> > I have deleted your posting to cdo.tools and c.d.o.miscellaneous to stop
> the
> > cross-posting.
> >
> > Daniel Morgan

If someone had that much time they could also get a job at your company, hack the server, steal the entire thing, start their own enterprise, be successful, and eventually force you guys out of business. If I could get my hands on your extracts, unless they are encrypted, I could always put them back together again. So could thousands of people. So what.

Excuse me for being blunt but this strikes me as utter nonsense.

Who gives a rip what could be deciphered from serious analysis of a bunch of raw data. And who the heck would care? If you have security issues secure the extracts. Seems you are approaching an apparent security concern from the wrong direction. What do you do with your backup tapes? If someone wants your data your backup tapes are far more useful.

Daniel Morgan Received on Thu Jan 30 2003 - 12:28:34 CST