Re: Location of data files on db creation

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 15:05:42 -0000

"Mike Cutts" <mike.cutts_at_lineone.net> wrote in message news:8854ce2a.0301300525.6e34cf68_at_posting.google.com...
> Is there an easy way of telling Oracle to put all the data files in a
> different location when the database is created. At the moment, I am
> having to go through the custom installation and altering the path
> manually for the system files, tools files, indexes etc.

Hi Mike

I see you have asked a number of similar questions today. What I would be tempted to do in what I think is your situation is to use the assistant to create the scripts but not the database, then edit those scripts so that they use variables for

dbname,passwords,datalocations etc.

Then just run the scripts supplying variables as required. this sort of approach is one of the reasons you'll see job ads for DBA's often require shell scripting experience.

However it may in fact be that you don't need to keep recreating databases, but in fact need to drop and recreate schemas within the database. A database in a product like SQLserver or Sybase is roughly equivalent to a schema within Oracle.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA