Re: Logging into Oracle??

From: Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 23:04:22 +1000

"Brian Thomas" <cinnamon_at_pft.com> wrote in message news:627cd842.0301291250.8767caf_at_posting.google.com...
> Ok, so I understand this is way too broad a question to be answered in
> a posting, so what I'm looking for is a pointer to references
> somewhere that could help me.
>
> I've been tasked with maintaining both and 8.1.7 and 9.0.1 database
> installations, all inherited from an earlier sysadmin. I'll be the
> first to admit I'm not a DBA, and my understand of Oracle permissions
> is weak at best.
>
> The issue I'm having is one of vast amounts of confusion over how
> Oracle permissions work. I don't know what to change where so as to,
> for example, let root log in to sqlplus the same as the oracle user
> does, or what commands to use. I've seen everything from:
>
> (on 8.1.7)
> sqlplus system/manager_at_ORACLE_SID
> connect internal

> (on 9.0.1)
> sqlplus /nolog
> connect / as sysdba
>
> The latter of which works as user oracle but not as user root. The
> former works either way, usually, although I can't run archive log
> commands when logged in as root.
>
> This isn't meant as a comprehensive explanation of the problems I'm
> having, but more an example of the sorts of questions I can't find the
> answer to. I've found amazingly little information doing google
> searches for 'oracle permissions' and the like, and I've wasted days
> scouring newsgroups trying to find hints. Anyone have any suggestions?

Hi Brian,

OK, I know this has all been covered a number of times in this dear NG and I remember Howard Rogers for one who posted a nice description on how all this works.

However, my big recommendation is to check out the Administrator's Guide (http://otn.oracle.com under documentation link) and read the first chapter that discusses the Database Administrator and the various ways to "log into Oracle".

A few stiff drinks later and you'll be well on your way ...

Good Luck

Richard Received on Thu Jan 30 2003 - 07:04:22 CST