Re: Newbie : database migration

From: Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 22:35:38 +1000

"steB" <sb_at_news.fr> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I would like to migrate my complete oracle database to another oracle
server
> computer.
>
> How could i do this ? ( tools...? ).
>
> thanks in advance.

Hi There,

OK, a few details missing but here are a few pointers.

If your server is running the same OS, then you can easily "clone" (or is easier still copy) your database onto the new server. The Backup & Recovery manual has all the nitty gritty.

If your server is running a different OS, then you can use the Export and Import "tools" to take a logical copy of the database, create an empty database on the new server and import the logical backup into this new database. Depending on database version, there are options available (such as transportable tablespaces) that can speed up this process. The Utilities manual has all the juicy details.

All the doco is available online at http://otn.oracle.com

Good Luck

Richard Received on Thu Jan 30 2003 - 06:35:38 CST