"pipe get" event question

From: Jan Gelbrich <j_gelbrich_at_westfalen-blatt.de>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 10:08:07 +0100

Hello, this time I have just a small question about database events.

Sometimes I observed "pipe get" events while supervising sessions, and the session was a slow running Oracle Report. The event was to see over minutes.

One of our developers said that due to his experience, this is likely to see when an app is not using indexes properly...

After doing RTFMing and surfing even to asktom, I did not find any confirmation
on this. Guy Harrisons book on High Performance Tuning says that "pipe get" is safe to ignore (p.561) ... and most
checking scripts that I know filter pipe gets out.

So: is pipe get something serious to consider, as our developer said ? Then I wonder why there is so little information about it ...

Any comments are greatfully appreciated.

TIA Jan Received on Thu Jan 30 2003 - 03:08:07 CST