Re: What is exactly Oracle Financial

From: Rauf Sarwar <rs_arwar_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 29 Jan 2003 21:17:07 -0800

"carosse" <hlamesse_at_videotron.ca> wrote in message news:<IaJZ9.59200$g36.446229_at_wagner.videotron.net>...
> Hi everyone:
>
> Often, I would have had a few jobs if I knew Oracle Financial. It seems to
> be the big thing now. I would like to know any feedback from you. Is Oracle
> Financial a software?
>
> Thanks

Oracle Financials is but only one component of complete ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning) solution from Oracle, generally called as "Oracle Applications". Some of the other areas are CRM (Customer Relationship Management), SCM (Supply Chain Management) etc. Then there are sub components under these verticals like AP/AR/GL etc under Financials. Short definition of ERP solution is an information system that integrates all production and related applications across an entire corporation by sharing live data for reporting, forecasting and business processes. You can also throw in buzz words like B2B, B2E, eBusiness etc etc.

Oracle basically entered the ERP race after watching SAP make a ton of money... and doing that while using Oracle RDBMS on the backend. Oracle knew that it can leverage it's already established dominant position in the RDBMS market. However, I personally think that except for Financials and maybe CRM... Oracle applications are somewhat weak. Their eBusiness suite is not what it is hyped up to be. You can learn more about Oracle applications on their website.

Having worked for an ERP company for last 4 years (Not Oracle or SAP), I can tell you this much from experience that working with ERP product (Technically), you cannot put blinders on yourself and just think that it is PLSQL etc programming as usual. To succeed, you would either need to learn quickly or have prior industry experience with the particular area of the application that you are working with. With inter-dependencies and unique requirements of different functional areas of a business, ERP backend is somewhat different then your general purpose OLTP environment.

Good luck!
/Rauf Sarwar Received on Wed Jan 29 2003 - 23:17:07 CST