Re: How are you backing up your V,VLDB????

From: Pete Sharman <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com>
Date: 29 Jan 2003 16:24:28 -0800

In article <b19q9b$23f$1$8302bc10_at_news.demon.co.uk>, "Jonathan says...

>I think the most significant strategic point
>is that a database of this sort is almost
>always susceptible to partitioning, with
>a date-based partition. So a large fraction
>of the database can be put into read-only
>tablespaces.
>
>if you are in this position, the backup
>strategy consists of making sure you have
>a library of the read-only components, and
>the daily/weekly backup of changing data
>turns back into a large but viable volume.

Quite true, but one point I'd like to add that I'm sure Jonathan and Brian already know.

I've heard this "make it all read-only, back it up once and then you can ignore it" approach many times. Most of the time the point that's left out of that discussion is make sure you can get back to that backup very very quickly. Take a crazy example. You back up lots of read-only tablespaces January 1 - December 31 the database crashes and you need to restore. If you haven't kept track of the backups, you may have to go through 365 tapes to find what you want for the recovery. In other words, make sure it's as automated as it can be to get those read-only tablespace backups back again. If you can't automate it, you may want to consider backing them up every month or so, just to make it quicker to recover.

Also make sure you have more than one copy of the tapes that have the read only tablespaces on them. Otherwise if they're lost or otherwise damaged you're in deep doo-doo (TM).

Pete

>--
>Regards
>
>Jonathan Lewis
>http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk
>
>Coming soon a new one-day tutorial:
>Cost Based Optimisation
>(see http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/tutorial.html )
>
>____UK_______March 19th
>____USA_(FL)_May 2nd
>

>Next Seminar dates:
>(see http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/seminar.html )
>
>____USA_(CA, TX)_August
>

>The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ
>http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/faq/ind_faq.html
>

>Brian Peasland wrote in message <3E385635.98F2E945_at_peasland.com>...
>>I am looking to see what solutions people are employing to backup
>their
>>very, very large database. We have a 1TB database (Oracle 9.2.0 on
>Sun
>>Solaris 8) that will grow to 6TB in the next five to six months. Our
>>current backup solution uses RMAN, Legato, the Legato Oracle Module,
>and
>>a StorageTek automated tape library system. My real problem comes in
>the
>>next year or two. While I can envision our current architecture
>handling
>>the 6TB database, I am concerned with the next step of our growth. In
>>the next year or two, we will be looking at growing to around 50TB. I
>>don't think that our current architecture can handle that kind of
>volume
>>on a regular basis. So I'm wondering what others are doing to backup
>>their V,VLDB. A 1-6TB db is no problem. But what about 30TB? 40TB? or
>>even 100TB?
>>
>>Any thoughts that you'd like to share?
>>
>>Thanks in advance,
>>Brian
>>oracle_dba_at_peasland.com

HTH. Additions and corrections welcome.

Pete

SELECT standard_disclaimer, witty_remark FROM company_requirements; Received on Wed Jan 29 2003 - 18:24:28 CST