Logging into Oracle??

From: Brian Thomas <cinnamon_at_pft.com>
Date: 29 Jan 2003 12:50:30 -0800

Ok, so I understand this is way too broad a question to be answered in a posting, so what I'm looking for is a pointer to references somewhere that could help me.

I've been tasked with maintaining both and 8.1.7 and 9.0.1 database installations, all inherited from an earlier sysadmin. I'll be the first to admit I'm not a DBA, and my understand of Oracle permissions is weak at best.

The issue I'm having is one of vast amounts of confusion over how Oracle permissions work. I don't know what to change where so as to, for example, let root log in to sqlplus the same as the oracle user does, or what commands to use. I've seen everything from:

(on 8.1.7)

sqlplus system/manager_at_ORACLE_SID
connect internal

(on 9.0.1)

sqlplus /nolog
connect / as sysdba

The latter of which works as user oracle but not as user root. The former works either way, usually, although I can't run archive log commands when logged in as root.

This isn't meant as a comprehensive explanation of the problems I'm having, but more an example of the sorts of questions I can't find the answer to. I've found amazingly little information doing google searches for 'oracle permissions' and the like, and I've wasted days scouring newsgroups trying to find hints. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Brian
wolfie_at_boldfish.com Received on Wed Jan 29 2003 - 14:50:30 CST