Re: Databse File layout on only 4 drives Ideas?

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 06:32:51 +1100

"OctoPrime" <OctoPrime_at_NOSPAMWhiteHouse.gov> wrote in message
> In the old days tables and indexes needed to be separated so the index
> and the table could be read at the same time. These days with RAID
> and striping it's not that big of a deal because you will have sveral rw
> heads working in concert which gives you performance above that of two
> disk, one with tables and one with indexes.

I don't know what "old days" you're talking about, nor whether your comments are specifically directed towards Oracle or some other RDBMS. But it has never been the case that indexes and tables were read in Oracle "at the same time" (at least not in 7, 8, 9i or 9i). The operations were always serialized, and therefore no RAID is necessary to avoid read contention on them.

But I really don't want to get into this same issue all over again. There are at least two threads in the Google archives where this has been discussed ad nauseam.

But no, RAID is not needed to make housing indexes and tables in the same tablespace a non-issue, generally speaking.

Regards
HJR Received on Wed Jan 29 2003 - 13:32:51 CST