can I put a "µ" in a varchar2 using the WE8ISO8859P1 character set?

From: bloodyoath <newton_chris_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 29 Jan 2003 11:32:01 -0800

It seems that this is not possible with WE8ISO8859P1, but it works fine in another db using the US7ASCII character set.

When I do the following update on the db with the WE8ISO8859P1 it uses 53 as the ascii representation of the character. I'm guessing it is no coincidence that 181-128=53 where 181 is the ascii representation of the character in the US7ASCII character set db that works properly?

SQL> desc ndb_unit ;

 ----------------------------------------- --------

----------------------------
UNITID NOT NULL NUMBER(38) UNITTYPEID NOT NULL NUMBER(38) UNITNAME NOT NULL VARCHAR2(30) NUTRIENTUNITABBREVIATION VARCHAR2(15)

SQL> update ndb_unit set NUTRIENTUNITABBREVIATION='µg' where unitid=32;

1 row updated.

SQL> commit;

Commit complete.

SQL> select NUTRIENTUNITABBREVIATION,dump(NUTRIENTUNITABBREVIATION) from ndb_unit where unitid=32;
  2
NUTRIENTUNITABB

DUMP(NUTRIENTUNITABBREVIATION)

5g
Typ=1 Len=2: 53,103

I did find similar examples in the Oracle docs that make me believe this is not going to work with my current character set, but it was worth double checking here.

thanks for any input,
Chris Newton Received on Wed Jan 29 2003 - 13:32:01 CST