Re: RMAN frustration

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 06:21:22 +1100

"Rogbaker" <Rogbaker_at_gdi.net> wrote in message news:e40a12ea.0301290848.5123a864_at_posting.google.com...
> Correct, I did a full backup. From what I have read, I thought to do a
> Point-in-time recovery, I use the SET UNTIL option to specify the
> time/date that I want it restored to. I thought the purpose of the
> incremental backups were so that you would only make small backups
> after the intial full backup. Looking again, I keep seeing the
> Point-in-time recovery mentioned as a TableSpace Point in Time
> recovery. I'll have to do more digging to see if it works with a full
> recovery.
> -Roger

TSPITR is a very different beast from incomplete recovery (the other name from 'point in time recovery'). TSPITRs are difficult, tricky, and the doco's advice is: don't do one until you call Oracle Support. Incomplete recoveries are a piece of cake, and you did everything right.

Except that (as someone has already told you), you can only perform a recovery to a point in time AFTER your initial backup has completed.

So if the timeline was:

10.00am start backup
10.05am finish backup
10.07am truncate table

Then you can't do an incomplete recovery to 10.04am, but you could do one to 10.06am, and you'd get your table data back that way.

Remember that in real life this isn't much of an issue, because backing up is a continuous process (I mean, you backup on Monday, and Tuesday and Wednesday and Thursday, not that the backup just runs and runs for ever!). Which means that practically, you can choose just about any time for an incomplete recovery. You are only seeing this 'anomaly' because you only have the one backup to hand.

Regards
HJR Received on Wed Jan 29 2003 - 13:21:22 CST