Re: Oracle Replication / Migration Question

From: Eric Parker <Eric_Parker_spamless_at_btopenworld.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 11:25:42 +0000 (UTC)

Randy
Sorry about the late response.
I've just completed an archive system similar (I think) to what you describe.
Ours was part of a Data Warehouse/Reporting database. We couldn't get replication to achieve what was required without impacting on PROD.
We ended up copying PROD into ARCHIVE overnight using parallel 'CREATE TABLE COPY_ABC AS SELECT * FROM ABC_at_PROD' statements. We copied about 4 GBytes in 250 tables in 15 minutes. This was then UPDATED/INSERTED
in ARCHIVE. The UPDATE/INSERT code took a further 3-4 hours to complete. The code required Primary Keys on all tables and as 'buckeye234' pointed out it
would not tolerate recycling Primary Keys. The code that performed this was generated from the data dictionary.
eric