Re: OCP - Performance Tuning

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 10:25:04 -0000

Bear in mind that the cost of a nested loop is (approximately)

    cost of acquiring outer row set plus

        cardinality of outer row set times
        cost of acquiring one inner row set.

So if you double the number of rows in
an outer tablescan without changing the
number of blocks, the cost of the query
pretty much doubles - at which point the sort/merge becomes more desirable.

Of course - one easy to rig things for the purpose of this question is to run an
aggregate query so that the CBO recognises that returning the first_row on an inner step is a sub-optimal strategy for returning the first row in minimum time on the final step.

--
Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

Coming soon a new one-day tutorial:
Cost Based Optimisation
(see http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/tutorial.html )

____UK_______March 19th
____USA_(FL)_May 2nd

Next Seminar dates:
(see http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/seminar.html )

____USA_(CA, TX)_August

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

<3e37a6e4$0$245$ed9e5944_at_reading.news.pipex.net>...