Re: Oracle monitoring help

From: Ban Spam <ban-spam_at_operamail.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 01:55:03 GMT

gerry_spearman_at_sbcglobal.net (GerryS) wrote in news:fd40e4cb.0301280757.6a51db_at_posting.google.com:

> I work for a company that is having financial difficulty (who isn't
> right now) and has decided to terminate the off-site daily DBA
> monitoring services in order to save money. Personally I don't agree
> with the decision, but I was overridden and have to deal with the
> situation.
>
> That being said, I was hoping to get some guidance as to what to
> monitor and possibly scripts or tools to use to monitor the database.
> We are running version 7.3.4. I am a programmer (please don't hold
> that against me) by training and have had some Oracle training, but
> that was several years ago. Hopefully, my DBA duties will be
> short-lived and I will be able to hand it back to someone who knows
> what they are doing, but any help you can provide in the mean time
> will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Gerry

Is this your company?
whois -h whois.crsnic.net sbcglobal.net ... Redirecting to NETWORK SOLUTIONS, INC.

whois -h whois.networksolutions.com sbcglobal.net ... NOTICE AND TERMS OF USE: You are not authorized to access or query our WHOIS
database through the use of high-volume, automated, electronic processes. The
Data in VeriSign's WHOIS database is provided by VeriSign for information purposes only, and to assist persons in obtaining information about or related
to a domain name registration record. VeriSign does not guarantee its accuracy.
By submitting a WHOIS query, you agree to abide by the following terms of use:
You agree that you may use this Data only for lawful purposes and that under no
circumstances will you use this Data to: (1) allow, enable, or otherwise support
the transmission of mass unsolicited, commercial advertising or solicitations
via e-mail, telephone, or facsimile; or (2) enable high volume, automated, electronic processes that apply to VeriSign (or its computer systems). The compilation, repackaging, dissemination or other use of this Data is expressly
prohibited without the prior written consent of VeriSign. You agree not to use
high-volume, automated, electronic processes to access or query the WHOIS database. VeriSign reserves the right to terminate your access to the WHOIS database in its sole discretion, including without limitation, for excessive
querying of the WHOIS database or for failure to otherwise abide by this policy.
VeriSign reserves the right to modify these terms at any time.

Registrant:
SBC Internet Services, Inc. (SBCGLOBAL4-DOM)

   PO Box 940972
   Plano, TX 75075
   US

   Domain Name: SBCGLOBAL.NET

   Administrative Contact:

      outhwestern Bell Internet Services (SD393-ORG) dnsadmin_at_SBIS.SBC.COM

      Southwestern Bell Internet Services
      P.O. Box 940972
      Plano, TX 75075
      US
      1-888-212-5411
      Fax- - - --

I'm sad to say that I'm running V7.3.4.5 for my production DB, too. I have a boatload of SQL, Perl, & PL/SQL code monitoring the DB for all sorts of things which have gone wrong in the past. So after your first problem, write some code that will warn you before it happens again. Over time, you'll end up with a rock solid instance.

HTH & YMMV Received on Tue Jan 28 2003 - 19:55:03 CST