Re: Solution for 01555

From: Paul Brewer <paul_at_paul.brewers.org.uk>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 21:21:16 -0000

<ctcgag_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Paul Brewer" <paul_at_paul.brewers.org.uk> wrote:

> > "vlad" <bulk_at_sfatcu.com> wrote in message
> > > live
> > > price
> > like
> > > >

> > 1555 with 'delayed block cleanout' really means:
> > "I'm sorry, so much has changed since you asked, that I'd rather not
> > answer the question than give you a false or misleading answer".
>
> Or, 1555 (with or without delayed block cleanout) really means:
> "I'm sorry, I've failed to maintain sufficient information to give you
> an accurate answer to your question."
>

> > This means (as Jonathan put more succinctly), that you need to decide on
> > what are your particular definitions of 'now' and 'the truth'.
>
> The particular definitions that Oracle uses for when it
> doesn't respond with 1555 would suffice, I think.
>

> > How do you
> > propose reporting on other users' uncommitted transactions? Or those
> > which have been committed since the start of your query?
>
> I don't think Vlad is asking Oracle to return inconsistent data in lieu
> of 1555s, but rather asking it to realize what's going on and take
> appropriate actions to prevent the need for 1555s in the first place.
>
> I don't know whether he thinks this can be done without a major
> performance impact, or if he has such a puritanical view that he doesn't
> care about the impact.

Fair enough, on most counts. But for how long does Vlad feel that Oracle should retain the old data on transactions committed after his query has started?
I fear we are back to square one..."until all queries needing these data have finished".

Regards,
Paul Received on Tue Jan 28 2003 - 15:21:16 CST