dropping a datafile

From: Vince Laurent <eAddict_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 11:16:11 -0600

On our SAP system, we have a few tablespaces that are made up of MANY datafiles. I have managed (via a 3rd party tool) to reorganize the largest tables into thier own tablespacs. Now the original tablespace is sitting very empty BUT the physical datafiles are still there. Is there a way to drop them?

I found this for growing them but nothing for removing them. I would like to reclaim the space.

Since I can apparently ADD space to a datafile as well as remove space, can I remove the datafile?

One can manually increase or decrease the size of a datafile from Oracle 7.2 using the

        ALTER DATABASE DATAFILE 'filename2' RESIZE 100M;

command.
Because you can change the sizes of datafiles, you can add more space to your database without adding more datafiles. This is beneficial if you are concerned about reaching the maximum number of datafiles allowed in your database.

Manually reducing the sizes of datafiles allows you to reclaim unused space in the database. This is useful for correcting errors in estimations of space requirements.

Thanks!
Vince Laurent
p.s We are running Oracle 8.1.7.3 on HP-UX 11.0 Received on Tue Jan 28 2003 - 11:16:11 CST