Re: Statistics for comp.databases.oracle.server - WE 26/1/2003

From: Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com>
Date: 28 Jan 2003 08:32:36 -0600

On Tue, 28 Jan 2003, howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au wrote:

> "Galen Boyer" <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com> wrote in message

>> > OK, fess up: what newsreader do you use.
>>
>> In OE, right-click the message and then choose properties.
>> Choose the details tab. If you did this, you'd find the
>> header, X-Newsreader, or something else like it and for my
>> posts, this header would contain Gnus. You need to know
>> Emacs, so I won't recommend it for you.
>
> No, no... I know how to check if I *remember* to check.

You asked me to tell you what newsreader I was using, so I thought you didn't know how to check from my message on your server.

> I want something that sounds the trumpet of Ezekiel if I hit > the send button *without* remembering!

XNews has a much quicker learning curve than Gnus because Gnus involves also knowing Emacs and XNews should be able to be configured to trumpet Ezekiel or it probably does it as default. I'd go with that if you are looking for more powerful standalone newsreading functionality.

Have you tried Forte Agent? Maybe that does it? Lots of people love it as well.

>> Pablo recommended XNews. Many people love that one, its free
>> and it runs on windows.
>>
>> But, if you were to decide to learn Emacs maybe for using
>> Gnus, then you would have it for your sqlplus work as well
>> (which has the same keystrokes/history/interface as for shell
>> command prompts in Emacs which would be the same for srvmgrl
>> command prompts within Emacs ...). It starts to become an
>> extremely useful environment once you learn how use it for
>> multiple tasks. Learning it for the first task isn't all that
>> easy though. I find it quite easy to use it for many things
>> now that I got passed the initial frustration.
>
> Uh huh. ('Scuse my Windows-centric scepticism).

Yeah, I know. Emacs doesn't meet and will never try to meet the WYSYWIG interface expectations of windows. You do have to understand "under the covers". There is far more functionality than can be bottled into a few menu items.

There is a pretty good analogy here though. Outlook Express is to SQLServer like Gnus is Oracle. Right out of the box with SQLServer you can immediately start building fairly powerful database applications. Right out of the box, with OE you can start participating in newsgroups. On the other hand, with Oracle, you have to learn some architecture, read the manuals and feel like a total imbecile because you can't get flippn sqlplus connected to the database you just installed. But, after awhile and many different iterations of the init.ora and the 1000s of minutes with the manuals, you look at what you have and think, man, I can tweak any and everything. This is really powerful. Same sort of thing with Gnus/Emacs. Right when you start you feel like an imbecile cause you can't figure out how to save a flippn file. But pretty soon, ...

--
Galen Boyer