Re: OCP - Performance Tuning

From: Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 22:35:45 +1000

"Jonathan Lewis" <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk> wrote in message news:b15h9a$lqq$1$8300dec7_at_news.demon.co.uk...

> I've just been sent the following question from an OCP test,
> and I can't decide whether this is a subtle trap, or a naive
> interpretation of the manuals on the part of the examiner.
>
> I haven't been told whether this is a 'single answer only'
> question, or 'perm any N'. But I assume from the grammar
> that precisely one answer is supposed to be correct.
>
> If you were taking the exam, which one would you put ?
>
> (NB - I didn't say "which one is correct?").
>
> 4. The cost-based optimizer can choose between a nested
> loops join and a sort merge join operation. All tables are
> analyzed and the OPTIMIZER_MODE is set to FIRST_ROWS.
> Which execution plan will be the result?
>
> a. The sort-merge join.
> b. The nested loops join.
> c. This depends on some sort parameter values.
> d. This depends on the number of rows in each table.

Hi Jonathon,

This sounds like a "8i Performance Tuning" question. There are a few ifs and buts with this but knowing the course material as I do, I would strongly suspect b. is the answer they're looking for.

I could probably come up with an argument why all the supplied answers (based on the info provided) could be deemed the correct answer.

However, really what does it matter. You can get this and 30% or so of the other questions wrong and still pass the exam ;)

Richard Received on Tue Jan 28 2003 - 06:35:45 CST