Re: performance/scalability and multiple instances

From: Ban Spam <ban-spam_at_operamail.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 01:01:39 GMT

Ron Bergeron <bergeror_at_asitshouldbe.com> wrote in news:Pine.LNX.4.44.0301271500190.7387-100000_at_machine.asitshouldbe.com:

> 3) Other than CPUs, memory, and I/O, are there any other resources
> that multiple instances on one server contend for? (ie: semaphores,
> locks, whatever)

The network might also become a bottleneck. [Is it better to be a bottleneck or a cone head?]

Another possible problem is that if/when multiple instances share the same ORACLE_HOME tree, one instance might need to be upgraded or patched while the remaining DBs should remain on the current version. This problem can be solved by throwing disk space at it.

HTH &YMMV HAND! Received on Mon Jan 27 2003 - 19:01:39 CST