Re: Databse File layout on only 4 drives Ideas?

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 27 Jan 2003 14:12:59 -0800

Mark Townsend <markbtownsend_at_attbi.com> wrote in message news:<BA5775D0.6EBA%markbtownsend_at_attbi.com>...
> in article AepY9.54719$L47.8070994_at_read2.cgocable.net, David Platt at
> david-platt_at_cogeco.ca wrote on 1/24/03 9:26 PM:
>
> > I am quite curious as to why a couple of you have written off the idea of
> > splitting data and index across drives. This is a practise that I have
> > followed for a while and I am wondering why it is being written off so
> > quickly
>

> First check the following -
> http://otn.oracle.com/deploy/availability/pdf/oow2000_same.pdf

Which says: "Any access hot-spot that is smaller than a megabyte should fit comfortably in the database buffer cache. Therefore it will not create a hot-spot on disk."

I've always had a problem with this statement. Wouldn't a db buffer cache hot-spot like this be a "dirty write" attractor, often flushing and making a hot-spot on the disk?

jg

--
@home is bogus.
"Upgrade now to the KDJ-11 processor!"  Vendor give-away notepad I