Resource Manager - general questions

From: Ron Boggs <rboggs_at_endian-networks.com>
Date: 27 Jan 2003 09:14:07 -0800

We just fired up the resource manager under 9i last week and I have some general questions. Any feedback would be appreciated.

  1. I have 1 plan with 2 consumer groups and 2 directives. I have a CPU intensive PL/SQL process which uses 100% of the 2 CPU's available when 2 of these processes run concurrently. To notice the impact RM has, I have 2 processes running under 1 consumer group and 2 in the other. With these 4 processes running concurrently, I've noticed that wide variations in CPU split (50/50, 75/25, 90/10...even 99/1) produces only subtle differences in elapsed time.

For instance...with consumer group 1 getting 99% of the CPU and group 2 getting 1%...I expect significant difference in actual response time. I'm seeing 20-21 seconds for the first group and 22-23 seconds for the other. Again, the CPU is 100% while these processes are running. Any explanation is to why RM isn't having a bigger impact?

2) Does the 'max_est_exec_time' work with PL/SQL? I can set it down to "1", but the PL/SQL process I'm using will still run to completion.

Thanks,
Ron Boggs
St. Louis Received on Mon Jan 27 2003 - 11:14:07 CST