Kill Session question #2

From: Jan Gelbrich <j_gelbrich_at_westfalen-blatt.de>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 15:23:16 +0100

Hello,

this time my question about killing sessions go to another direction than my first thread.

The story behind is this:
My manager (who is our sysad btw ...)
wants to _be able_ to kill the permanently active USER session that is being created by entering
ALTER SYSTEM SET JOB_QUEUE_PROCESSES = 1; As most of You know, this is part of the setup for using DBMS_JOB.

Now, a job can be _broken_ to make it not running. And I could make all jobs broken,
to make the job queue empty.
But, of course, this would not effect the USER session in any way, it is still active.
It is always there by showing 'rdbms ipc message'. So far, everything is normal.

When I try to kill it like any other normal session by entering ALTER SYSTEM KILL SESSION '123,4576';
, SQL*Plus freezes.

When I use HORA to do so, it freezes.
Some time before, my manager tried to do this (to make a shutdown, that is), he got the message 'insufficient priviliges' ... that was some weeks ago. No clear recall of the conditions then.

So after all:
My question is:
can this USER session, which is very special, be killed at all in the usual way ?

I am personnally used to set
ALTER SYSTEM SET JOB_QUEUE_PROCESSES = 0; in SQL*Plus when I want this special USER session to end, but my manager is insisting that there must be a way to kill it normally as he is used to do, using HORA (GUI tool, sending just the sesion killing statement to the server.)

I thought that job queue sessions are special and so cannot be killed except altering the init parameter.

Am I missing something, or is it really impossible ? (... yes I did RTFMing ...)

I would be thankful about any tips or critics,

tia

Jan

--Oracle EE 8.1.7 on AIX 4.3.3-- Received on Mon Jan 27 2003 - 08:23:16 CST