Re: DWH concept, what is better ?

From: eye <anonymouz_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2003 20:51:58 +0100

What we do is:
Pro*C batches extract the desired data on the lowest levels in the various time, product and organisation hierarchies. Also changes in the hierarchy (reclassifications) are extracted. This is written in flat files. The flatfiles are ftp'ed to the DWH server. Here the flatfiles are SQL*Loaded into the atomic tables. Other Pro*C batches are run for generating syntethic keys and populating the datamarts, and also pushing down the Majro Changes in the hierarchy.. A combination of Pro*C batches and SQL-scripts are run for generating/calculating various aggregated DataMarts. All this is fully restart/recovery enabled (including the flatfile writes) and monitorable from our Redwood Scheduler. We have sometimes tried to do this over database links (queries on the DWH server collecting the Atomic data) but were not content with reliability and restartability.
Good Luck,
Erik Ykema