Re: Why import slow

From: koert54 <nospam_at_nospam.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2003 18:59:19 GMT

From the manual - read last line :

http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/A87860_01/doc/server.817/a76955/ch02 .htm#40480
COMMIT
Default: N

Specifies whether Import should commit after each array insert. By default, Import commits only after loading each table, and Import performs a rollback when an error occurs, before continuing with the next object.

If a table has nested table columns or attributes, the contents of the nested tables are imported as separate tables. Therefore, the contents of the nested tables are always committed in a transaction distinct from the transaction used to commit the outer table.

If COMMIT=N and a table is partitioned, each partition and subpartition in the Export file is imported in a separate transaction.

Specifying COMMIT=Y prevents rollback segments from growing inordinately large and improves the performance of large imports. Specifying COMMIT=Y is advisable if the table has a uniqueness constraint. If the import is restarted, any rows that have already been imported are rejected with a nonfatal error.

If a table does not have a uniqueness constraint, Import could produce duplicate rows when you reimport the data.

****For tables containing LONG, LOB, BFILE, REF, ROWID, UROWID, DATE, or type columns, array inserts are not done. If COMMIT=Y, Import commits these tables after each row. ****

-> I remember reading on metalink that it has to be a bug in the documentation - nobody believed DATE showed this kind of effect on the import process. However,

it's still there in the 9R2 docs. I've never experienced slow imports with date columns - I did however had serious performance problems importing longs and lobs when I specified

commit=Y.

The only way to be certain is to use logminer and check the logfiles - but I believe the docs for now ...