Re: question about automatic undo management

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 24 Jan 2003 16:33:46 -0800

"Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote in message news:<Pg3Y9.31835$jM5.81103_at_newsfeeds.bigpond.com>...
> "Joel Garry" <joel-garry_at_home.com> wrote in message
> > SMON has been having "issues" forever.
> >
> > As far as "next version..." ROTFLMAO!
> >
> > Howard J Rapunzel has now locked himself in the Ivory Tower, swallowed
> > the key and cut his hair off. :-)
>
> As I said, if you want to get personal about things, and in particular if
> you wish to keep pushing the line that what I do is 'ivory tower', then go
> right ahead.
>
> But bear in mind: You don't know the half of what I do, or what I've done.

So where do I find out?

Sorry, I had a bad day that day, mean things wound up striking me as funny. And I should say, I agree quite a bit with your first answer to the OP of getting a giant disk.

> > So, when will they get the bugs out of CBO?
> >

> Strawman.

Not really, if you think in terms of how long it took from CBO introduction until it became something you can stake your livelihood on (which is only very recently as far as I'm concerned, and I'm not totally convinced), and all the double-binds it created and may continue to create by being necessary for "new features," which inevitably bring in new bugs.

> If there is a specific bug in SMON's handling of automatic undo cleanup, I
> am confident that (a) they'll be a TAR logged regarding it and (b) that
> Oracle will deal with it.

The larger point is SMON does too much in the middle of too many critical paths, and this isn't being helped by giving it new things to do. There is often an inordinately large time lag between a bug coming out and the tar and the fix, especially in something that only gets hit sporadically in large systems. On unix systems, it is normal to kill things through PMON because SMON is often too busy to bother with it. And I believe OEM uses SMON still, correct me if I'm wrong.

But even something as basic and aged as exp... broke in 8.1.7.3 and 9.0.1.2, noticed by some bank in Turkey or something last June, so fix didn't even make it into "final release" of 8.1.7 or until 9.2. Harumph! You call that "dealing with it?" Little solace to the guy trying to explain it to non-technical managers.

I think the Oracle bugfix cycle hit a complexity wall early in V7, and no matter what they do to re-engineer the support business processes, it won't get any better.

jg

--
@home is bogus.  "Interesting article about support, in [Spring '94]
Select.  Most informative Support Flow Diagram, that shows how