Re: Table Design - Index Method

From: D.Y. <dyou98_at_aol.com>
Date: 24 Jan 2003 15:01:51 -0800

Create an index on every column which can be used alone in the where clause. If a combination of these columns is used in the search criteria then let Oracle choose an index. If the partitioning feature is available, you can partition your table on the least selective columns (up to two columns if you use composite partitioning) such as zipcode. That may still give you acceptable performance but you don't need indexes on these columns. The fewer indexes you have, the faster your DML will be.

If this is an OLTP database you may want to reconsider using the less selective columns to do your search. A common mistake people make is allow searches on city, county, zipcode, etc. only to find out that they are not going to get fast response time. Nor are the search results very useful. But for reporting purposes it's perfectly fine.