Re: Connecting VISIO Pro to remote Oracle 9i 2.0.1 instance (reverse engineering)

From: Karsten Farrell <kfarrell_at_belgariad.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 17:18:38 GMT

Andrew wrote:
> Hi,
> I have VISIO installed. Oracle is on the remote Sun box.
> I noticed VISIO has some its own drivers (Microsoft ODBC for Oracle,
> Oracle ODBC driver).
> Do I have to install Oracle 9i ODBC or other Oracle's components to
> connect it with VISIO?
> What is the general path to connect VISIO to Oracle to reverse
> engineer the DB (any how-to, good postings on the subject, links)?
>
> Thanks!

I have used Visio 2000 Pro to reverse engineer an 8i database. I use the Oracle-supplied ODBC driver (sqora or something like that). I don't know how much is required on the PC since I had Oracle client already installed.

In the beginning I had difficulty connecting. Talked to one of the developers here who has more experience with ODBC than I do ... noticed he setup a User DSN, whereas I was trying to setup a System DSN. Switched to User DSN and mine worked (never went back to figure out why).

PS. I removed the cross-posts. However, I suspect you'll get a response - eventually - from the microsoft.public.visio.databas.modeling NG. It sometimes takes days to see replies to questions ... not like this active NG. But you should search the Google archives on that NG. The question has been asked many times ... maybe a combination of answers will help answer your question. Received on Fri Jan 24 2003 - 11:18:38 CST