problem with TNSNames.ora connections

From: Matthew Cromer <sdaconsulting_at_nc.rr.com>
Date: 24 Jan 2003 07:46:35 -0800

We periodically have problems connecting with clients who use SERVICE_NAME to connect. SID always seems to work.

Any idea what might be going on on the server to cause this problem? We get an error "ORA-12500: TNS:listener failed to start a dedicated server process" on the client when we try to connect. This only happens when we use the SERVICE_NAME on the client side, not when we use SID. And it only happens some of the time, with some databases. Received on Fri Jan 24 2003 - 09:46:35 CST