Re: Comparison of Java, C# for development on Windows and future for them

From: Ingo Pakleppa <ingo-immigration_at_kkeane.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 06:42:01 GMT

On Thu, 23 Jan 2003 15:02:16 +0000, Michael Kale wrote:

> <snip>
>

>> get mor bang for the buck with .NET and C#. You will, of course, limit
>> yourself and your company to Windows. But that may be OK.

> <snip>
>
> To everyone talking about c# being windows only, have you checked out
> mono lately?
>
> http://www.go-mono.org/
>
> It's some pretty cool stuff!
>
> Michael

Mono is extremely controversial, and likely to fail eventually.

There are two main problems with it.

First, it promotes the .NET framework that is controlled by one vendor who doesn't exactly have a track record of cross-platform compatibility. In other words, it is controversial because it does the wrong thing.

Second, there are patent and copyright issues in .NET and C# that would allow Microsoft to pretty much at any time they like stop the work dead in its tracks (there are similar issues surrounding Samba, btw).

So, despite mono, it is still safe to say that C# and .NET are still Microsoft-only technologies that may be available on other platforms - but I wouldn't trust it with anything that a business depends on unless I also wanted to commit to Windows. Received on Fri Jan 24 2003 - 00:42:01 CST