Re: question about automatic undo management

From: Paul Brewer <paul_at_paul.brewers.org.uk>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 20:12:34 -0000

"Jonathan Lewis" <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk> wrote in message news:b0p9vv$mri$1$8302bc10_at_news.demon.co.uk...

> It comes back to classifying the systems
> you are familiar with.
>
> 90% of the systems that I see are massively
> overpowered for the work they get done - but
> who cares, because the hardware is relatively
> cheap and the job gets done quickly enough
> to satisfy the user. But there are still a few
> systems where high-precision implementation
> matters. (And where disks are not cheap because
> of the cost of the extra back-plane, cabinet,
> fibre controller, floor re-inforcement and air-con).

And IMHO it still comes back to the ancient mantras:

1)    Get the design right
2)    Tune the SQL
3)    Worry about the hardware, the init.ora parameters, the spindles, and
all the other stuff if it's still a problem.

Sorry, an over-generalisation I know, but it's not been a good day. I'm suffering from others' failure to adhere to 1) and 2) - outside our control.

Regards,
Paul Received on Thu Jan 23 2003 - 14:12:34 CST