Re: question about automatic undo management

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 07:11:54 +1100

Could well be, as it wasn't the most rigorous or vigorous test in the world, and the database wasn't stressed in the slightest.

I was hoping that the stats. exposed in v$undostat would be coming into play: it knows how much concurrency there is on the system in any 10 minute period, so if concurrency is known to be low, start sharing. When things get busy, start creating. That sort of thing.

This is the trouble, I suppose, with adopting the SQL Server paradigm: without the source code, you've no idea what it's doing (though I suppose some analysis of the recursive SQL would reveal a bit). It's a bit like the subtleties of the autoallocate extent sizing algorithm in that respect.

Regards