Re: Deadlock question

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 17:45:35 -0000

Your deadlock was an ORA-04020 deadlock, not an ORA-00060. This is a library cache issue involving x$kglpn, not a pure data issue involving v$lock.

I can't explain what might have cause the problem in your case - 4020 often means
a coding bug in the Oracle kernel.

If you had looked at v$session_wait, you would (probably) have seen that another
user was waiting for event

    library cache lock
    library cache pin
or perhaps

    library cache load lock

If you had looked in x$kglpn (as sys) you would probably have been able to connect the wait parameters to one of the objects pinned.

There is a script in $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin (dbmslock.sql I think) that creates a couple of view with names like dba_kgl_lock, and dba_lock_internal which exposes library cache locking issues like this.

--
Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk