Re: to much archivelog

From: Glen A Stromquist <glen_stromquist_at_no.spam.yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 17:02:40 GMT

zeb wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have a datawarehouse, ( 8.1.7, AIX 4.3.3 )
> the database is in archivelog and we have disk space problem.
> we have a lot of archive we don't need
> we only need them to do the hot backup.
>
> do you know a method to get the archive only for the backup
> something like:
> - noarchive log
> - put the database archive log
> - do the hot backup
> - put the database no archive log
>
> Is a good method ???
>
> Thanks in advance

You may want to try what I do:
I purchased a copy of pkzip command line and at the end of my online backup script I run a simple little pkzip command that will add only the new archive logs to a zipfile stored elsewhere on the network, and I go in once and awhile and purge the archived logs to free up disk space. (I could automate this but our servers have scads of disk space and I'm basically just to lazy to go modify my scripts)

ps. I use pkzip because it will not think a .arc file is already compressed and therefore not try and compress it, and it has a pretty good command line interface that is easy to integrate into scripts.

HTH Received on Thu Jan 23 2003 - 11:02:40 CST