Re: to much archivelog

From: Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 22:24:40 +1000

"zeb" <thierry.constant2_at_wanadoo.fr> wrote in message news:b0mvvk$qc6$1_at_news-reader10.wanadoo.fr...
> Hi,
>
> We have a datawarehouse, ( 8.1.7, AIX 4.3.3 )
> the database is in archivelog and we have disk space problem.
> we have a lot of archive we don't need
> we only need them to do the hot backup.
>
> do you know a method to get the archive only for the backup
> something like:
> - noarchive log
> - put the database archive log
> - do the hot backup
> - put the database no archive log
>
> Is a good method ???
>
> Thanks in advance

Hi Zeb,

It's been a long week and I've read this a couple of times and I'm sure I'm missing something really silly but I'm utterly confused.

You say that you only need the archivelogs so that you can perform the hot backup, after which you don't need the archivelogs anymore ?

Well if you implement your strategy and you take your hot backups (starting at redo log sequence 98) and after which you take the db out of archivelog mode (at redo log sequence 100) and then later on you lose a datafile (at redo log sequence 110) , what do we do ?

Well, we restore the hot backup (at redo log sequence 98) and recover the database to the point of time when the hot backups were completed (redo log sequence 100) and then, and then .....

Well then we're kinda stuck. Because the rest of the database has moved on (it's now at redo log sequence 110) but we can't recover any further as the subsequent archived redologs (101, 102, etc) have been overwritten but not archived. You *can't* get to 110 which makes your hot backups somewhat pointless !!

I don't think so ...

Richard Received on Thu Jan 23 2003 - 06:24:40 CST