Re: Locally Managed Tablespaces ... again!!!

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 10:20:19 -0000

I think you and Howard (or Howard and you, there is no accusation intended in order of names, or apparent recipient of the mail) should just stop arguing.

The demo statistics I posted, and your sample explain between them why the pair of you can so easily waste so much time over a trivial point

>> I submit 960 samples to the DNA sequencing facility, so I supply
the
>> application with all the necessary data, and I hit the "submit"
button.
>> So 300 seqfac_todo blocks get dirtied, and 500 seq_fac_todo_idx_*
blocks
>> get dirtied, and these are next to each other in the cache list
with maybe
>> a few blocks from HR thrown in. No?

You have a particular type of system - it is a little unusual to see something that looks like 960 rows changing that affect only 300 table blocks, but impact on 500 index blocks. The combination of row size, number of indexes, number of changes between null and not-null is obviously engineered for a specific, and non-generic, application.

In one test case I showed that one table I/O could be matched by dozens of index I/Os - in which case you can forget about where the table goes and make sure you separate and spread the indexes as much as possible; in another case I showed one index I/O matching dozens of table I/Os - in which case you can forget about where the indexes go (even to the extent of putting them into the same tablespace as the table) so long as you smear the table across multiple devices.

Bottom line:

    NEITHER of you is saying you shouldn't separate table     from index.
    NEITHER of you is saying that if you've separated a table     and it's indexes then the job is done.     If you read each other's posts carefully you would notice     that you are arguing at cross-purposes.

Hmm. 99.73 OCR

--
Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

Coming soon a new one-day tutorial:
Cost Based Optimisation
(see http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/tutorial.html )

Next Seminar dates:
(see http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/seminar.html )

____England______January 21/23
____USA_(CA, TX)_August

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

<20030121211936.349$h1_at_newsreader.com>...