Re: data corruption

From: Dusan Bolek <pagesflames_at_usa.net>
Date: 23 Jan 2003 02:02:47 -0800

"JustAnotherDBA" <jadba_at_bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:<a14X9.51459$Jm2.23170_at_news.bellsouth.net>...
> Would seem that a "select *" is selecting all rows and would therefore have
> selected the problem row.
>
> Anyway, what is the error that the exp utility gives when you run it ?
>

> "jh" <jhaisu_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > can't even export right now.
> >
> > If I run select * from that table, I don't have any problems.
> > but once I select the row with the problem, the database hangs
> > and I would need to restart the oracle service.

Yeah, sounds strange, but not unlikely. I've personally encountered this problem some time before. However, I've got End of comm. channel error while using WHERE clause, but oracle as database survived, no need for restart. Maybe it has something common with used operating system.
Because, I'm (after years in IT) extremely paranoid and I could afford some downtime, I've solved the problem by exporting whole database (after correcting problematic table by select * from and SQL*Loader) and importing to a fresh build one. Just to be sure everything is fine.

Dusan Bolek, Ing.
Oracle team leader

Note: pagesflames_at_usa.net has been cancelled due to changes (maybe we
can call it an overture to bankruptcy) on that server. I'm still using
this email to prevent SPAM. Maybe one day I will change it and have a
proper mail even for news, but right now I can be reached by this
email.