Re: Private synonyms - I'm seeing too much!!

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 07:56:43 +0000

Arturo wrote:

> Being logged on as USER_A, I can see other user's PRIVATE synonyms. When I
> query ALL_SYNONYMS being logged on as USER_A, I can see something like
> this:

<snipped>

Close one eye and with the other one, only read synonyms that you own.

Or simpler, use the right dictionary view for the job. If you are interested in your own stuff only, use the USER_* views and not the ALL_* views.

> I end up seeing much more than
> I need and that causes some issues when I try to access object through
> ODBC.
Well, you will have an issue accessing anything that you do not have permission too. Simply because you can see a synonym or a view or a table def of another user via one of the ALL_* views, does not imply that you have access rights to use it.

> My DBA is not really able to help me.

Huh? <insert snide comment here>

> What is the system privilege that
> allows me to see other user's synonyms?

No priv. Simply use the right tool (in this case, the right view) for the job.

--
Billy