Re: Multi-homed interface and Oracle listener

From: Jeff Traigle <traigle_at_si.umich.edu>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 18:50:21 -0500

On 1/19/03 10:08 AM, in article 3E2ABF6D.CE94122D_at_exesolutions.com, "DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote:

> Paul Drake wrote:
>

>> "Paul Sure" <phv_temp_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Well this looks obvious.
>>>
>>> In fact I didn't see much services that have restrictions on which ip
>>> address they listen to or to which addresses they answer. Apache has the
>>> possibility to service only on certain ip adresses (interfaces). Don't know
>>> if you can tell the Oracle listener only to listen for connections on
>>> specific ip addresses.
>>> Guess you hve to use tcp wrappers for that.
>>>
>>> Paul

>> in 8.1.x one could use a protocol.ora file in the
>> %ORACLE_HOME%\Network\Admin
>> to define hosts that are either explicitly allowed or explicitly
>> denied.
>>
>> http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/A87860_01/doc/network.817/a76933/para
>> ms.htm#478104
>>
>> tcp.validnode_checking=yes
>> tcp.excluded_nodes= (foo.com, 192.168.0.0)
>> tcp.invited_nodes= (mydomain.com, 172.16.1.0)
>>
>> One could also use the Oracle Connection Manager utility to set an
>> access policy via ip address.
>>
>> hth,
>>
>> Paul
>
> FYI: In Oracle 9i the protoco.ora has been eliminated and these entries are
> valid in sqlnet.ora.
>
> Daniel Morgan

Not that it applies to my company's ancient 7.3 database, but do these entries in 8.1 and above (be they in protocol.ora or sqlnet.ora, depending on version) have anything to do with the addresses the listener watches? It seems to me (though I admit I haven't had time to peruse any documentation for the later versions) that these entries probably only restrict which addresses are allowed to connect to the database (much as the only_from option for telnetd and wu-ftpd works for xinetd on Red Hat Linux), not controlling which addresses the listener on the server actually monitors. (It could just be the .0 at the end of the addresses in the example above making it seem like that and they weren't intended to represent an entire subnet of addresses instead of specific IP addresses configured on interfaces on the server.)

--
Jeff Traigle
traigle_at_si.umich.edu