Re: OT: Richard Foote

From: Karsten Farrell <kfarrell_at_belgariad.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 22:35:47 GMT

TurkBear wrote:

> They may want to live there but as a city with one of the highest costs of living in the US, who can afford to?
>
> Karsten Farrell <kfarrell_at_belgariad.com> wrote:

>>Glen A Stromquist wrote:
>>
>>>-38c where I live this morning, and wer'e in for about a week of it by the
>>>looks of things. I'll gladly send a few degrees of this colder weather to
>>>those that need it!
>>>
>>>cheers
>>
>>You can send some out here to San Diego. I can probably predict the
>>weather for any day in the next 40 years and be right 90% of the time or
>>better ... 60-75F along the coast and 60-80F inland. Don't need two sets
>>of clothes ... wear the same short sleeve shirts year-round. I
>>understand there's some big football (American definition of term) game
>>this coming weekend (sports is one of my pet peeves). When people see
>>how nice the weather is here ... they'll *all* want to live here. So if
>>you could send it before Super Bowl, I'd appreciate it.

How very true!!! Even with my retirement plus DBA salary, I can hardly afford to live here. But there must be a lot of very rich people buying all the million-dollar homes around here. A small (1200 sq ft) home in my neighborhood, built during the 1940s, just sold for US$ 450,000.

Of course, people can always live in the next county north of here (Riverside County), where the cost of living is really low right now. Of course, no one can find a job in Riverside after the government shut down March Air Force Base. After a shutdown abort, they can't do a recover economy either.

Back in the 50s, when I was in the Air Force, I was in Fairbanks, Alaska and the cost of heating fuel during the winter was as much as my mortgage now (with corrections for inflation, of course). Received on Wed Jan 22 2003 - 16:35:47 CST