ORA-01578: Datablock corruption

From: Pascal Byrne <byrne_at_icada.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 15:50:21 +0100

Hi,
One of our customers got this error on his production database which is Oracle 8.0.5.1 on SuSE Linux 7.1 (kerne2.4.16-4GB) using non-raid removable SCSI disks. Database updates are normally by JDBC using the Oracle thin driver and Sun JDK 1.1.8

The error message was:

	ORA-00604: error occurred at recursive SQL level 1
	ORA-01578: ORACLE data block corrupted (file # 2, block # 8596)
	ORA-01110: data file 2: '/ora00/oradata/RSM/rbs01.dbf'

He was lucky the problem happened in a rollback segment tablespace rather than one with data since the database is *not* running in archivelog mode (don't ask) and they don't make cold datafile backups (don't ask)!

I checked the disk for bad blocks with 'badblocks' and it came out clean. The machine is in a climate controlled environment so (FAB) issues like humidity and temperature don't really come into play.

My boss wants to know the reason why this happend and how *I* can prevent it from happening again. Any help would be gratfully accepted.

Thanks,
Pascal Received on Wed Jan 22 2003 - 08:50:21 CST