Re: Oracle 9i Installation Problem

From: Tim X <timx_at_spamto.devnul.com>
Date: 23 Jan 2003 00:06:41 +1100

 Jackie> Everything is fine with the network. I configured hosts and
 Jackie> hostname file but I still receive the error. How can I
 Jackie> configure tnsnames.ora and listener.ora before installing
 Jackie> them. I receive the error before the installer copies
 Jackie> anything to disk.

 Jackie> DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message  Jackie> news:<3E2832FD.813F905A_at_exesolutions.com>...
>> Jackie wrote:
>>
>> > Hi! I am sorry about missing information. I receive the error
>> > just after Database Configuration Stage, after selecting General
>> > Purpose Database option. This is not a O/S error I think because
>> > universal installer pops up a message box saying only this:
>> > Thrown when the ip address of a host cannot be
>> > determined. (Help) (Retry) (Continue) (Cancel). This is all the
>> > information that the installer provides. When I click the help
>> > button, a help window opens up, it says that there has been an
>> > error (very helpful!). When I ignore the error and choose to
>> > continue I receive the error several times. The final
>> > installation becomes nothing but a mess...
>> >
>> > DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message

>> Try using ping to determine/verify the ip address and
>> configuration of network services. Make sure the host values are
>> correct in listener.ora and tnsnames.ora.
>>
>> Daniel Morgan

some applications can be a bit picky about how you have the /etc/hosts file defined, especially if you are not on a "real" network (e.g. home system or stand alone system). I've seen a very similar error when the system thinks its OS name is something.com, but the OS cannot determine a link between the OS name and an IP address for that name. Just so that we can verify things, can you post

  1. Your /etc/hosts file
  2. Output from ifconfig command
  3. output from route command
  4. output from uname -a command

Also, with the 'ping' tests, make sure you try them with both the ip address and with just your hostname.

Tim

--
Tim Cross