Re: DWH concept, what is better ?

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 08:09:10 +0000

[crossposting groups removed]

Kimo wrote:

> In order to extract, transfer and load to our Data Warehouse we have
> created 2 concepts,

> 1- export the needed data to temporary tables on the live database and
> then transfer and load the data into Data Warehouse.

> 2- export the data to temporary tables on a separated database and
> then transfer/load the data into DWH.

I do not really see a huge difference in either of the above two method. The issue is essentially where (i.e. on what platform) you are going to process the production data to turn it into warehouse data.

That question is not a design or architecture one at all.

It is a question only you can answer - taking into consideration space, processing power & time, production needs, and so on.

My personal preference is to have a staging area as part of the Warehouse database which is used for processing the production data - especially if the data comes from multiple platforms and needs to be processed and clean and kick and beated into submission to produce only a single version of the truth.

--
Billy