Re: question about automatic undo management

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 05:34:03 +1100

"Jonathan Lewis" <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk> wrote in message news:b0jcjl$igp$1$830fa78d_at_news.demon.co.uk...

> Since I include a section in my seminar on
> why it is a smart move to minimise total
> undo space if possible, I'd rather not have
> my name connected with any generic comments
> about being a moron if you don't throw diskspace
> at the undo tablespace.

First off, apologies if the 'association' caused you offence. The sentence in question was intended to be a jocular way of saying you *don't* need to be particularly bright to work the thing out. I think you'd have to stretch things to breaking point to read it as any kind of suggestion that J. Lewis himself thinks peoples are morons unless they do x, y or z.

There was a smiley face at the end of the entire thing, too.

Next time, I'll dig out the "Irony" neon sign.

> Diskspace may be cheap, but I/Os are not, and
> any strategy that results in redundant I/O is inherently
> suspect. Allowing undo segments to become
> unnecessarily large is one way of generating
> redundant I/O.

But since SMON shrinks anything that it considers too large every 12 hours or so, this isn't going to be an issue, is it?

Regards
HJR